So, as Matt will attest to, I’ve been going slightly nuts since learning about the HP magic giveaway & entering sites participating in the HP magic giveaway contest (sponsored by HP, Microsoft, BuzzCorps & Corel). I am going on record now to say that I’m done entering. lol. Seriously.
Well, I’m done entering sites that aren’t going by a simple luck of the draw. What with the bulk of the giveaway sites wanting you to sign up for all the Web 2.0 services known to mankind, it’s a small nightmare (for me anyway). Kudos to those who are going to do read over entries although I know that there’s zero chance of me winning in such a case. I’ve been blessed by God and even though I know organizations in need, how can you truly tell if I’m blowing smoke up your butt? Some winners (e.g. Evan Brammer) are for real & I’m just glad he’s off the giveaway circuit because he would’ve won anyway. lol). If this post is a little (okay, a lot crabby, call it sour grapes. LOL.
A lot of the bloggers have reminded entrants that they’re the sole judge, jury & executioner. Fair enough, but one particular website (hint: it’s the one that wants your first born child. Okay, there’s no such one, but it rubbed me the wrong way. Send me an email if you really want to know) kinda sent me over the edge. Talk about getting a God complex just because you have been privileged to throw such a contest. Okay, I’m being very dramatic about this because they were given carte blanche & they’re only doing what’s smartest for them. Anyhow, I’ll just highlight a couple of contests I liked and/or entered:
- Chris Pirillo ran his contest with a shrewd goal in mind: get people to post slightly thoughtful articles which he put up on his website. I didn’t enter this one because I couldn’t think of something that would stand out. My guess is that hundreds of people submitted all sorts of articles. Guess whose site will rank higher in Google’s eyes? 🙂
- Gottabemobile (as I expected) ran a smart contest. In fact, I contemplated not entering their contest because I didn’t feel “worthy” (so to speak) & slightly guilty because I’d just won something from their site before. I didn’t submit my entry till last night and by so doing, I sort of sabotaged myself. I truly believe that they did agonize over whom to pick & they did make a right choice: not me. lol.
- Carlos Alberto’s giveaway has a slightly sadistic twist (Kidding!) because some of his rules include going through his posts and finding certain words. That was fun to enter because I watched some videos that I hadn’t watched before. Even more fun for running his site through Google Translate service and hoping that it worked as described. 😀
- Long Zheng‘s contest was a simple “enter your email & I’ll randomly pick a winner” type of entry. However, he also got something out of the entrants i.e. he’ll be able to get some idea of our systems & encouraged people to check out the Microsoft Vista operating system.
- Liz-Henry‘s giveaway idea was also very smart, honest & straight forward. All she wanted was a thoughtful comment on any of her posts and she would pick the winner randomly. I didn’t enter this contest because I kept wondering what to write. I didn’t want to leave some thoughtless comment just to qualify. So, I lost out on this one which had only 100 entries.
- Julie Strietelmeier at The Gadgeteer who invited participants to showcase their creativity by making images that were inspired by Technology & showed her site’s logo somewhere.
The contests aren’t over yet, but these are a small sampling of the entries that I’ll be entering from now. Simple, no bullshit contest. </end> 🙂 I’ll write about my computer adventures later on so stay tuned.
Wow. Remember that Camtasia contest that I won? Well, there was another winner to that contest (Mr. Evan Brammer) and now, he’s won the granddaddy of contests: BostonPocketPC’s HP magic giveaway!!! What a lucky man! He’s also putting to very good use and he might have even won the same contest over at Liz-Henry’s blog because he’s just lucky like that! Here’s to channeling some of Mr. Brammer’s luck and wishing for a nice gift too!
All jokes aside, this post is just to talk about the HP magic giveaway again. This time, I’m entering Techie Diva’s contest which just kicked off. I’d written an official declaration of what I’d like to do with this giveaway on my personal blog. To recap from my previous post, the printer, photo pack & KungFu panda dvds will go to the Athens Area Homeless shelter in Athens, GA. I am still donating the Touchsmart PC to the University of Georgia Center for Teaching & Learning to help with their core mission. The Corel VideoStudio X2, Windows Live and the dv4 laptop will go to the College of Veterinary Medicine (where I serve as the laboratory coordinator for the Anatomy laboratory) to help edit short videos to help students with learning anatomy. The HDX and MediaSmart Connect will remain with me (my husband will inherit my current dv9700t laptop) and I’ll be able to use the HDX to help me at my job & my online pursuits/business. The HP mini 1000 + Office licenses will go to my sister-in-law for use in her classroom & ease her workload. A cousin of mine posted on Facebook about how God gives you what you need & not what you want. I want these items for the purposes I’ve listed above. However, if I’m being brutally honest, I wish those items will go to those in the most need. In fact, I didn’t enter a few giveaway contests because I didn’t feel like contributing something that wasn’t inspired. So, with that, I’m signing out. Cheers and don’t forget to check back at Jane Talks Tech for more videos, rants & how-tos.
Update: See this updated post about the HP giveaway & what I would do with the gifts. 😀
This post was cross-posted from my personal blog at Fading Whispers.
So, I’ve thought long & hard about this and I’ll write it on this personal blog. Currently, HP, Microsoft and BuzzCorps LLC are running a promotion (the HP Magic Giveaway) where they are giving away ~ $6 000 worth of computer goodness. They gave 50 sites this same prize package to give to 50 different winners and each site has their set of rules. Some of those sites participating in the giveaway are Moosh in Indy, Down-to-earth Mama. 🙂 The items that are up for grabs include:
- Electronics:- HP TouchSmart IQ816 PC, HP HDX 18 series Premium Notebook PC, HP MediaSmart Connect, HP Pavilion dv4 series Entertainment Notebook PC (with Windows Live) and the HP Mini 1000 (with XP), HP Photosmart C6380 Wireless AIO (printer) + HP 564 Photo Series Value Pack
- Software:- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate/Home Premium or Microsoft Windows XP pre-installed on all units (Mini 1000 runs XP), Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 (Student-Teacher Edition) – 1 DVD with 3 licenses, Microsoft Windows Live and Corel VideoStudio X2.
- Entertainment:- Kung Fu Panda (2 widescreen DVDs; 1 widescreen Blu-ray disc)
As you can see, that’s a lot of stuff and 50 lucky people are going to each get these items. Of course, lots of people will bring out all sorts of things they’ll do if they win and I can’t possibly hope to top any fantastic stories. However, a lot of these sites are (thankfully) leaving the decision making to a random draw provided all entrants followed the rules to a Tee.
If I should win this giveaway, I’ll give the bulk of these items to the following people:
- Athens Area Homeless Shelter: I briefly volunteered before work issues forced me to quit doing that. You can tell what their mission is from their title and I would like to give them the HP wireless printer, the photo pack as well as the KungFu panda dvds. During the time I volunteered there, there wasn’t much by way of entertainment and I think the families housed there (particularly the children) would appreciate these gifts.
- UGA Center for Teaching & Learning: They will be getting the Touchsmart PC to further their mission. I am big fan of using technology to educate and enlighten students & administrators. This will help introduce the university community to cutting edge technology.
- My nuclear family: the HP dv4000 series laptop, Microsoft Office 2007 software and Corel VideoStudio X2. My family has been my rock and I would be nothing without their prayers & support.
- My father-in-law (Bill) will get the HP mini 1000 netbook because it will be the perfect starter computer tool to introduce him to the digital world. lol. He’s running an ancient computer and I fear it’s on its last legs:)
- My husband (Matt) & I will be keeping the HDX laptop & the MediaSmart items. He will “inherit” my dv9700t laptop and I’ll assume ownership of the HDX beast. 🙂 The MediaSmart will be mostly for his use because he is a big music buff and I’m frankly tired of all his CDs laying haphazardly all over the house/apartment. This kickass MediaSmart Connect will be the music & video repository in order to free up space in the house. 🙂 You bet I’ll be having a CD burning party if I win this contest!
Even if the actual order of giving may change, I know for sure that the only things that will remain in my possession will be the HDX and the MediaSmart. 🙂