The influx of searchers looking for info on installing Ovi Maps on their E71x phones is strong. This is good. 🙂 Sadly, the post that they typically hit upon first is this monster about installing Nokia Maps 3.0.1 on the Nokia E71x. That information is out-dated and I have tried to redirect people to a much easier way of getting Ovi Maps installed and functional on their devices. The entire point of this post is:
- You don’t need to download the Nokia Maps 2.0 version as I had had to do with Nokia PC Suite software & the older versions of the Maps software available.
- If you are using the Nokia PC Suite software, transition to the excellent Ovi Suite software which is now at v. 220.127.116.11. Ovi Suite now syncs your contact with your Ovi.com account! There is also better support for Microsoft Outlook and Windows Contacts syncing.
- With Ovi Suite software, installing Ovi Maps is significantly less tricky and quite unlike this post which gets a lot of hits from people interested in Ovi Maps on the Nokia E71x phone.
Here are the updated instructions for installing Ovi Maps to your Nokia E71x phone:
- Have your USB sync cable ready. Have a recent backup of your phone’s contents (either using the old Nokia PC Suite software, Ovi Suite software or through the “Control” option when you rightclick the “Nokia E71x” icon under “Devices and Printers” in Windows 7. See the embedded images to see more about this 3rd option.)
- Download the most recent version of Nokia’s Ovi Suite software (v. 18.104.22.168). When installing, you will have the option of setting up your phone with the software. I connected my phone via the USB cable first. I recommend you do the same to avoid any potential issues with bluetooth. You can always set up your connection via bluetooth later. Follow the installation prompts and I would recommend making a backup of your phone before attempting anything else.
- Fire up the Ovi Suite software and navigate to the ‘Maps’ tab. The software will actually prompt you to install Ovi Maps on your device! If you aren’t able to install maps via the Ovi Suite software, then keep reading. 🙂
Download the latest Ovi Maps .sis file for your device. In the case of E71x owners, we’re SOL because our device is not officially supported for use with Ovi Maps! However, I used the installation file (Nokia Maps 3.0_0302_3.2.sis) for initially installing Ovi Maps to my E71x. Once you have successfully installed Ovi Maps using that version listed above, fire up the Ovi Suite software and check up for updates. Please remember to have your 8GB microSD card inserted in your phone before you begin downloading any maps. If no updates are detected, start up the Ovi Maps application and check your file version. My Nokia E71x which is currently running the v3.28 firmware version has the following version information for the Ovi Maps software: v. 3.01 09wk44 b01.
- If all goes according to plan, you should be able to run the Ovi maps software. If you not, leave a comment and I’ll investigate. 😛
For what it’s worth (FWIW), here’s info on Ovi Suite and some items it installs on your computer. In order for me to help you, make sure you are running the later Ovi Suite version.
- Nokia Ovi Suite 22.214.171.124
- PC Connectivity Solution 10.5.1.0
- Connectivity Cable Driver 126.96.36.199
- Nokia Ovi Suite Software Updater 2009.46.1.60264
- Maps Service API 188.8.131.52
- Nokia mPlatform 2.6.86
- Ovi Desktop Sync Engine 184.108.40.206
- Ovi Maps on Jane’s E71x: v3.0109wk44b01 MW
You can access this same info by navigating to the ‘Help’ tab and clicking ‘About Ovi Suite’. Then, click on “System Information” and voila!